Today is Blue Monday.
Blue Monday falls typically on the third Monday in January, and it is considered to be the saddest day of the year. For those of us dwelling in the depths of Winter, there's no doubt about it— shit gets gloomy. While Blue Monday has been widely debunked as pseudoscience (it was put forth by a study conducted by a travel agency), there's no denying the long dark months of winter can be a little rough. You may not have seen sunlight in quite some time, it's cold, your skin is suffering, and you've been wearing most of your closet at the same time to stay warm (hello woolly sweaters). We're not getting outside as much as we used to, and this aspect of Winter can be particularly harsh on those of us who work from home (why venture out into the freezer when you don't actually have to?).
Here are some ways you can give the blues a boot:
1. Build a snow fort.
2. Have hot chocolate with rainbow marshmallows (or, alternatively, a spoon of Nutella. You won't regret it).
3. Listen to your favourite summer playlist.
4. Watch a black + white movie.
5. Fill your room with candles (but maybe not if you have a cat).
6. Get in the bath with someone you love and watch a movie on a laptop. Bonus points if you bring a cup of coffee and a donut.
7. Read your favourite children's book. +1 if you read it aloud. +2 if you read it aloud to someone else.
9. Make soup.
10. Make homemade cookies. Eat the dough.
11. Build a cushion + sheet fort. Read under it with a flashlight.
12. Play old videogames. +1 if you can count the pixels.
13. Host a potluck.
14. Declutter your house and donate heaps to your local charity.
15. Reconnect with an old friend.
16. Make a gratitude list.
17. Go for a walk at night when it's snowing.
18. Go sledding. +1 if you fall off.
19. Go to a comedy gig.
20. Write letters to a pen pal.
21. Host a tea party.
22. Marathon Harry Potter. +1 if you dress up. +2 if you make Butterbeer.
23. Create your own holiday to celebrate on Blue Monday. Honour it each year (check out this page for some ideas!).
24. Create an amazing essential oil blend.
25. Get a haircut you won't regret.
26. Costume party.
27. Create a list of 50 things you want to do this year.
28. Do one.
29. Give yourself a tarot reading.
30. Write a hilarious false news story. +1 if you post it to Facebook. +2 if someone believes it.
31. Write a letter to the negative shit in your life. Burn it outside.
32. Start a sketchbook. Draw something everyday no matter how bad you think you are.
33. Light your favourite incense and meditate. Smells like witches.
35. Buy a potted plant. +1 if you name it.
36. Pop some Vitamin D.
37. If there is a cat cafe nearby, go there.
38. Write notes to people and leave them in your favourite books.
39.Pay for someone's coffee.
40. Have some sex.
41. Make art. Hang it on your wall.
42. Stop looking at beauty and tabloid mags.
43. Have a picnic in your living room.
44. Compliment a stranger.
45. Go say hi to your neighbour. +1 if you bring them food.
46. Buy some flowers.
47. Take a class in something new.
48. Ditch electronics for a day.
49. Pick up garbage in your neighbourhood.
50. Look in the mirror. Repeat after me: "I love you, you gorgeous BAMF." +1 if you do it naked. +2 if you mean it.
All humour aside, if you are feeling quite down or having really dark thoughts this winter, please don't take a candle-lit bath. Please reach out and get help. Talk to a friend or family member, or reach out to one of these organizations.